Saturday 19 March 2011

Lions spring event 19/03/2011 Part 2

Ow ow ow... I failed to realise how much work Monstering is. The frequent deployments from the monster room coupled with my own enthusiastic efforts to be helpful and approachable are wearing me out. One thing you'll learn about while LARPing is your general level of fitness- its a damn good idea to limber up a little before battle is joined (Or you are called on to become a halfling shopkeeper with atrocious dress sense).

Today we got the opportunity to fight in clear daylight, which believe me is to be preferred. A thought strikes me that, despite the safety rules, the foam weapons and the ever-vigilant referees, last night gave me a little taste of how chaotic and scary a night engagement can be.

In any case, this time I was prepared- I ditched the two hander in favour of a shield and war hammer combo, much easier to use and it'll help me survive that much longer before doing the invisible arms-raised stroll back to the monster area for respawn. It works too, I'm better able to get a handle on how the calls (things like abilities, spells, scrolls, chants etc) work and how not to get surrounded and beaten to an imaginary pulp. I'm still no great shakes at this, though.

However, it is immense fun, especially when you improvise, I managed to crate a little bit of drama when I had my fellow TEs surround a downed player and prevent a rescue for half their downed timer. Of course I allowed them to rescue the fallen eventually, because I'm not a dick. I feel I played it right however, because the look in the rescuing player's eyes was a gift. I played the mindless minion card to the hilt, only relenting when I received an order to redeploy from a Greater TE.

I also managed to twist an ankle. Karma is a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment